Singapore is known for world class salons and spas. A strong industry that is growing year-on-year and record high numbers of tourists allows owners to enjoy multiple revenue streams with a steady flow of clients.
Setting up a spa and salon is a fairly straightforward process. Read on here to find out how in detail what you need to know about setting up a salon and spa business in Singapore.
Obtain the Right Licenses
A Massage Establishment License (ME) is required under the Massage Establishment Act. According to the act, you’ll need to obtain this license if your business offers any of the following:
- Massage services
- Spa baths
- Similar services
The license is broken down into two categories: Category 1 and Category 2. The main difference between the two categories offered is the restrictions placed on Category 2. Any business that obtains a Category 1 license will be able to:
- Choose unrestricted operating hours
- Serve alcohol
- Employ foreign therapists
- Admit customers regardless of age
There are certain conditions wherein a spa would not need to obtain licensing. If treatment is administered by the following, licensing is not needed:
- A member of the Singapore Physiotherapy Association.
- A therapist that is part of the Singapore Association of Occupational Therapists.
Several criteria points must be met before applying for an ME license. There are several criteria listed below, including:
- No Objection Letter from the landlord or building management.
- URA planning permission for a spa to be opened on the premises.
- Training certificates for all therapists and masseuses.
- List of employee details, including names, identity, passport details and position.
- Copies of all documentation will be needed upon applying for a license. You’ll also need to have the following documentation when applying for a Category I license:
List of all renovation, asset and costs invested in the business.
- Proof of spa accreditation from CaseTrust.
- Fire Safety and Shelter Department building plan number.
- Photographs of all staff uniforms (front, side and rear views).
- Spa floor plan.
- Tenancy agreement.
All of this information is required, in copy form, upon application. Most applications will take 12 days to complete, and a fee of SS525 is required within three weeks of application approval.
Before licensing can be provided, certain criteria must be meet by the potential owner.
KC HA Consulting Pte Ltd is one of Singapore’s leading incorporation companies. They provide high standard professional services in setting up business firms for Singapore clients and foreign investors.
Looking to get your small business registered in Singapore? Contact KC HA Consulting at firstname.lastname@example.org or call them at +65 6338 7856
Find this useful? share it with your employees or peers in the industry